Western India Update
4 November, 2002
Lakshmi First Gas & Rajasthan Exploration Well
Block CB/OS-2 - Gujarat
Cairn announces today that first gas sales from the Lakshmi gas field development commenced on 1 November 2002. The field is currently undergoing a brief commissioning period. Contractual plateau volumes are 120 mmscfd.
Block RJ-ON-90/1 - Rajasthan
Drilling of the RJ-E-1 exploration well onshore Rajasthan commenced on 30 October 2002 and is anticipated to reach total depth prior to the year end.
Bill Gammell, Chief Executive, commented:
“I am delighted that we are now selling gas from Lakshmi. The joint venture has achieved production within two and a half years of the initial gas discovery in May 2000.
I am also pleased that we have commenced a multi-well exploration and appraisal drilling programme in Western India with the well on Prospect E. This is the first exploration well to be drilled on the Rajasthan block since Cairn's acquisition of an additional 50% interest from Shell."
Cairn Energy PLC:
Bill Gammell, Chief Executive Tel: 0131 475 3000
Dr Mike Watts, Exploration Director Tel: 0131 475 3000
Kevin Hart, Finance Director Tel: 0131 475 3000
Brunswick Group Limited:
Patrick Handley, Catherine Bertwistle, Mark Antelme Tel: 0207 404 5959
Notes to Editors:-
- "Cairn” where referred to in this release means Cairn Energy PLC and/or its subsidiaries, as appropriate.
- Cairn holds a 50% interest in the ring-fenced Lakshmi development area in Block CB/OS-2. The remaining interests are held by Oil & Natural Gas Company Ltd. ("ONGC") with 40% and TATA Petrodyne Limited with 10%. The joint venture has two Gas Sales Contracts for Lakshmi gas - one with Gujarat Gas Company Limited and the other with Gujarat Powergen Energy Corporation Limited.
- "mmscfd" means million standard cubic feet of gas per day.
- Cairn holds a 100% interest in Block RJ-ON-90/1. ONGC has a right to 30% in the event of a commercial discovery on the block.
- "Shell" where referred to in this release means Shell India Production and Development B.V.